Box-tree Moth - a rare species for SE Essex

As a regular moth trapper, I frequently run my moth trap throughout the night in the garden, and have been doing so throughout this summer.

On the morning of 28 August I was pleasantly surprised to have caught a Box-tree Moth (Cydalima perspectalis) in the trap overnight, which I thought would be the first record for southeast Essex (including my 10km grid square), however I think there may have been a couple of unregistered records from the area in recent years. It is an adventive species in the UK and Europe, with the first British record being in 2008 (Surrey). This was a new species for me and one which I have wanted to catch for a while.






Also pictured are a Feathered Ranunculus (Polymixis lichenea) from 27 August, a mainly coastal species, and a Red Underwing (Catocala nupta) from 28 August, a tatty individual of a fairly common species.






I also found this tiny micro moth - Parectopa ononidis - on the side of the moth trap on the morning of the 28th, which appears to be another first for my 10km grid square and only the ninth site which this species had been recorded at in Essex (first since 2012). I was quite pleased!




A good night for moths...

Max.

Comments